Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanksgiving Isn't Just A Day

My head is already spinning with thoughts of turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie.  Oh, the pumpkin pie.  Mmmmm...  Oops, sorry.  I got distracted.  It's just that it's that time of year again.  When food and feasting becomes a big focus for many of us.  

We spend days, or weeks, planning.  Will we stay home, or visit friends or family?   What will we prepare? 

We  spend hours, or days, preparing.  Baking, boiling, roasting, mixing, blending, mashing.

Me?  I even spend time thinking about the leftovers.  The turkey sandwiches.  The way that pumpkin pie always seems to taste even better the day after Thanksgiving day.  I'm almost as excited about the leftovers as I am about the initial meal.

It's easy to get completely wrapped up in the yummy-ness of the holiday.  And just focus our thoughts and attentions to the meal.   Which - let's face it - is pretty darn good stuff!   But I don't want to forget the other good stuff.   The "thanks giving" part.  I want to be grateful.  I want to look at my life and realize the many blessings I have been given.  The people I love.  The people that love me, surround me, support me, and cherish me.   The "stuff" I have, which is far beyond meeting just the basic needs of life.

I want to take a while to indulge myself in all that I have been given and really appreciate it.  In that vein of thinking - many of my posts for the next week will be just that.  A celebration of the many things I have to be thankful for. 

“Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day” - Robert Caspar Lintner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!