Monday, March 19, 2012

Stop Calling Us Nazis!!

I cringe every time I hear the phrase.  It makes my skin crawl.  And yet, as a breastfeeding counselor and advocate - I hear it being tossed around all the time by those who do not support breastfeeding or believe "Breast is Best" as well as by those who do.  The term "breastfeeding nazi".  (aka: boob nazi or nipple nazi)

Nazi?  Really?  Are we really comparing the (sometimes over-eager) efforts to increase breastfeeding rates and provide information and support to a group that slaughtered thousands millions of innocents and continues to spread hatred and intolerance of  any differing ethnicity?  I don't care how "mean" a breastfeeding advocate has been to someone, I seriously doubt it compares in any way to the absolute and complete horror the Nazis carried out.

The only thing I can think of more offensive than being called a breastfeeding nazi is when true breastfeeding advocates refer to themselves as nazis.  You may be quite proud of everything you do as a Lactivist.  You may speak openly about breastfeeding health statistics, promote breastfeeding rights, and work tirelessly to support breastfeeding moms and babies.  But do you REALLY want to be mentally compared with a group which ran concentration camps and a vast death machine?  Think about it.

Whether you believe "Breast is Best" or not - it is my opinion that calling someone a nazi crosses a line. Not only is it offensive, but I feel that in someway it minimizes the horror and suffering of the victims of the true Nazis. 

So, call us breastfeeding enthusiasts. Call us breastfeeding zealots.  Call us boob fanatics or breastfeeding radicals.  Call us breastfeeding extremists.  You can even call us breast dogmatists, freaks, or radicals. 

But, please - STOP calling us Nazis!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!