Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Searching For My Gold

Like much of the world population (or at least the U.S. population), I have spent hours and hours viewing the various Olympic events over the past week.  I'm starting to get a little bleary eyed and delirious from staying up far past my bedtime to see our gymnasts, swimmers, and runners.  And in that muddled brain state I begin having dreams of my own Olympic gold.

I'm not completely delusional yet.  I don't imagine myself biking cross country, or swimming a 400m IM, or doing a stunning balance beam routine and nailing the dismount in a way that sends the crowd to their feet.  Although that chick sitting in the front of the boat telling the rowers to "stroke"?  Yeh - I think I could master that.  Maybe.  I'm good at telling people what to do.  Just ask my kids.

But after careful consideration of my general lack of athleticism, I have come up with my own  "Olympics - Home Edition".

That's right.  Olympics for the home maker.  Events in cooking, cleaning, general home and family management.  Medals for the every day heroes of family life.

I may be a medal contender in dishes.  Empty dishwasher, rinse dishes, load dishwasher.  I've got that routine down cold.  Gold might be a stretch, but silver is certainly within my reach.  Not today.  If the event were held today - I'd be lucky to squeeze by with a bronze.

I probably wouldn't even get past the quarter finals in laundry.  I'd take a terrible tumble off the pile of Mt. WashingToDo causing huge deductions.  An epic fail of  Feck proportions.  No coming back from that sort of disaster. 

And I am refusing to contend in Ironing at all.  I just can't see any good reason to do that to myself.  That would be like a runner trying to race in the pool.  Completely out of my element.

I would , of course, dominate in Clothesline Drying.  Watch me folks.  I would dazzle the judges and the crowds with my hanging skills and the speed with which I can remove the dry clothing from the line!

I'm already dreaming up other events and imagining myself up on the podium waving and smiling at my cheering, adoring family.  

Bathroom cleaning - GOLD!


Meal planning and cooking dinner - GOLD!

Grocery shopping and couponing - GOLD!

Vacuuming. Dusting. Sweeping and Mopping. GOLD, GOLD, GOLD!  Oh, who am I kidding... probably Silver at best.

What event in the Olympics: Home Edition would win you a medal?

6 comments:

  1. I could win gold in the sitting down on the couch to watch tv and surf the net event. And maybe the smoothie-making event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honest to goodness LOL here!!! I don't know, that might be a tight field to compete in. I'm pretty good at the sit on the couch and watch tv event myself. ;0)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I found you from the "Bloggy Mom's August Blog Hop". I am now your newest follower. Please come by my blog and follow me back!
    http://www.countrifiedhicks.com
    http://www.facebook.com/countrifiedhicks
    https://twitter.com/#!/MelodyGravitt
    http://pinterest.com/melodyahol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment. :0)

      Delete
  3. Does vacuuming while holding a toddler count? I've become great at that :) Love the post, too funny! New follower from bloggy moms, I look forward to your future posts!

    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of COURSE it does! In fact there may be a whole 'nother Olympics for those doing everything with a baby or toddler on the hip.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!