Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tearing Down The House

The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. ~ Proverb 14:1

My temper can be a problem. 

And the way I can hold onto hurt, disappointment, and frustrations.

When I get upset, my feelings get hurt, or I feel overlooked or unappreciated - I tend to press things down.  I pout over them.  I stew on them.  I let them multiply until it all becomes too much and I blow up over any and every little thing. 

Tearing my house down with my own hands - or words, as the case may be.

"In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold" ~ Ephesians 4:26-27

This is an unhappy experience to everyone in the house.  Not just to my family, who suddenly find themselves tiptoeing around wondering what set me off.  It's also hurting me.  The woman letting these feelings dominate me instead of me controlling them.  Once again trying to handle things all by myself.  Instead of holding onto these things, I need to release them to God.  To trust that He is in control.  And while maybe I can't handle all of it - He can! 

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." ~ 1 Peter 5:7
I need to lean on His strength and trust Him to get me through and help me deal with all the little hurts and slights before they boil over into one big mess.




6 comments:

  1. I used to have quite a temper too but as I aged I have mellowed quite a bit.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say the same. I just keep praying for grace.

      Delete
  2. Oh honey. I relate. Unglued by Lysa Terkuerst showed me, too, that I'm a 'collector of retaliation rocks.' I stuff and stuff and stuff and then hurl all the rocks (offenses) back in people's faces. I've been more aware that I need to not pick 'em up. They aren't mine to collect.

    Great scriptures listed there, Beckey. Have a wonderful weekend dear!

    Falen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Falen! Unglued held a mirror up for me also. I think maybe I need to read it again!

      Delete
  3. I've so been there and still am someetimes! Patience does not come naturally to me and a quick temper does. I come from a long line of "yellers" and I want so desperately to break that cycle. I can't imagine doing it without God how some people think they can! Wow. Oh how we need Him! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the only way I can break the cycle is with His grace! Thank you for sharing your truth Kelly!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!