Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What Do You Want To Do?


Have you ever played out this scenario with your husband?

Him: "What do you want to do?"  You:  "Oh, I don't know. What do you want to do?"

-Or-

Him: "Where do you want to go tonight?"  You: "Where ever you want to go is fine."

Now... how many time did you know exactly where you wanted to go or what you wanted to do, but just didn't say it?

Yeh... me too.  Why?  I have no clue. 

Perhaps we expect him to somehow read my mind and pick exactly what we wanted in the first place.  Oh, isn't that going to be just so romantic?  That he knows me so well he can know what I want to do even when I don't say it?  Right...  Probably not going to happen. 



And then we feel let down on some level.  Which is just silly.  The only person responsible for us not doing exactly what we actually wanted to do is.... US!

Ladies.  Men are not mind readers.  And in my experience they are pretty literal creatures.  So if you say "whatever you want to do is fine" , he is not going to think  "Oh, she wants to ___".  He is going to hear and believe that what he wants is just fine with you.

So...

If you have something you want to do - Say it!   If there is somewhere you want to go - Tell him!  If there is somewhere you want to eat - Share the information!

And if it really doesn't matter - smile and just enjoy the time with your man doing something he will enjoy.

I'll try to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! I learned this early on. If I want something, I say it. Games don't belong in marriage. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL this is us SO often! I learned that I am always better off speaking my mind in these situations. If there's something I am interested in doing, I should say so. Even if we don't do it that day, at least he knows that I want to do it, and it usually gets done pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this reminder. I am so guilty of this! I have been much better lately though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!