Friday, February 1, 2013

My Love Dare: Day 12

Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. ~ Philippians 2:4



Day 12: Love lets the other win

Uh oh. 

I don't like to lose.  I don't like to be wrong.  Even more - I don't like to admit I'm wrong. I will argue my point even when I realize I might be wrong.  I am incredibly stubborn.

Some things are worth standing up for: our priorities, our morals, our obedience to God.  Standing up for other things can be a waste of time and productivity.  And it can wreck havoc in a marriage.  We have to figure out what is truly worth standing up for and when we need to bend.

We can start by asking ourselves: Is being right, or getting my own way more important than the health of my marriage? 

I know, right?  Puts a whole lot of things right into perspective for me.

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 2:5

An attitude of willingness, flexibility, and humility.

TODAY'S DARE:  DEMONSTRATE LOVE BY WILLINGLY CHOOSING TO GIVE IN TO AN AREA OF DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE.  TELL THEM YOU ARE PUTTING THEIR PREFERENCE FIRST.

The man of the house and I were facing a couple of choices for an upcoming date.  I knew the choice he was leaning toward would involve some stress and tension for me.  And I could have been a brat about it.  Instead, I made the choice to allow him to make the choice about our plans for that day and put his preference ahead of my own.

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. ~ Romans 12:18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!