Monday, February 4, 2013

My Love Dare: Day 15

Live with your wives in an understanding way...and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life ~ 1 Peter 3:7



Day 15: Love is honorable

hon·or[on-er]
noun: high respect, as for worth, merit, or rank: to be held in honor.
verb: to hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents

To honor someone.  To value them as something special.  If you honor someone, they matter - and they know it by the way you treat them.

Your spouse should not feel as if he is common or everyday.  He should feel special and unique.  He should know that he holds a sacred place in your heart.

Oh, dear friends... I am so guilty of this.  It is so easy to take our spouse for granted, isn't it?  Especially if he is reliable and patient.  It's easy to look over him to all the things we feel we need to take care of or to do each day.  It's easy to think that he should just "know" his value.

Remember the rug?  (My Love Dare: Day 11)  Your spouse is not just a furnishing in your life, but a treasure to be cherished. 

Every day I want my actions to tell The Man of the House, "Of all the relationships I have, I will value ours the most.  Of all the things I am willing to sacrifice, I will sacrifice the most for you.  With all your failures, sins, mistakes, and faults - I still choose to love and honor you."

TODAY'S DARE:  CHOOSE A WAY TO SHOW HONOR AND RESPECT TO YOUR SPOUSE THAT IS ABOVE THE NORMAL ROUTINE.  IT MAY BE HOLDING THE DOOR FOR HER.  IT MIGHT BE PUTTING HIS CLOTHES AWAY FOR HIM.  IT MAY BE THE WAY YOU LISTEN AND SPEAK IN YOUR COMMUNICATION.  SHOW YOUR MATE THAT HE OR SHE IS HIGHLY ESTEEMED IN YOUR EYES.

Um....  my mind completely shut down.  I tried to think of something "above the normal routine".  And kept coming up blank.  Finally... finally... something came to me. 

You see, I'm not a good listener.  No... really! Part of the problem is my tendency to multi-task.  I get distracted doing other things and don't pay as much attention to the person speaking as I should.  The Man of the House gets the worst of that.

I want to show him honor and respect by being more intentional in how I listen to him.  That means to stop what I am doing and give him my undivided intention.

Will this be difficult?  Yes!  Will I probably fail at it many times?  Yes.  Will I keep working at it?  Yes!!

I will also honor them and they will not be insignificant. ~ Jeremiah 30:19




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!