Wednesday, February 27, 2013

That's Not My Name...

When I took at quick look at what was going on with some of the blogs I read this morning and saw that The Vintage Modern Wife was co-hosting a link up with the theme "Say My Name" (encouraging bloggers to share the origin of their blog name) I decided to give it a go! 

For any who are now going to have that annoying song by the Ting Tings stuck in their head all afternoon thanks to the title I chose for this post - Sorry.  Misery loves company.

I started my blog at a time when I was overwhelmed and annoyed by the increasing existence of all those "The Real Housewives of _____"  so-called-reality shows. 

When I thought of all the REAL housewives I know, not one of them was represented by a single person being showcased on these shows.  It was irritating.  As far as I could tell there was nothing real about most of these women - from their hair, to their breasts, to their personalities, to their friendships.  It made me sad that housewives were being portrayed in such a manner.

I imagined a show highlighting the lives of the real housewives I knew.  No lunches on the patio over cocktails and extreme back biting and cattiness, followed by an afternoon of over indulgent retail therapy.  More like morning rush to get the kids fed and to school, followed by a day of cleaning, grocery shopping, doing laundry, getting dinner on the table, making sure homework is done, etc.  I know... not exactly exciting television.  But that IS reality.

This inspired the original title of my blog "The Really Really Real Housewife".  Which soon evolved a little to the current working title. 

Just me.  Keeping it real.
The Vintage Modern Wife: Say My Name Link Up


2 comments:

  1. Those shows annoy me too! I'm glad you made your name so people would know how you're a real housewife! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't watch those shows. NOBODY I know acts, dresses or carries on like that. Glad to know where your name came from!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!