Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Dear Moms;

The school year begins, I find myself looking back on my (ahem..) more youthful years when I had younger kids.  As I reflect on the things I know I've gotten right, the things I could have done better, and the times I fell flat on my face as a mother - I find myself thinking about how I so often felt as if the whole world (especially other mothers) were looking at me and scoring me as a mom.  And how,even though my kids are grown and mostly grown, and one even has a little one of her own - I still feel this way.

photo: publicdomainpictures.net
And I wonder:  How much was real and how much was me projecting my own doubts and insecurities onto others?  How much was me judging myself and thinking others must be doing the same?

As my thoughts chase that rabbit, they bring me to a realization.  One I wish I had come to many years ago.  And one I want to share with all of you - especially the ones just starting this journey we call motherhood.

If we are going to be the best mothers we are capable of being...

We have to stop judging ourselves - and other moms in the process!

We need to stop worrying about whether we're better than Mom A or not doing as well as Mom B.

We need to have the courage to be willing to proudly say when we have nailed it  AND to ask for help when we are barely keeping our head above water.

We need to stop the comparison game and focus on teaching and loving our kids to the best of our own individual ability.


post signature

5 comments:

  1. I needed that. I always feel sub par but I know I am doing my best and this isn't the easiest task I have been given. Thanks for your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I so wish my dear daughter could read this. She doesn't have time to blog. These are beautifully spoken words filled with wisdom. Thank you for sharing this. I came over from Michelles at New Horizons. I am following you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you will share it with your daughter if you feel it would be something positive for her to read. Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  3. Well said! I have been known to have guilt trips over what I did wrong.
    I can't change any of it, and only God can touch their hearts.
    I'm learning life can be tough because of the fallen state of man.
    But God can mend hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think guilt is just part of being a mom, unfortunately. But we can't change the past. We can only learn from it and move forward. Trusting God's promise that He uses ALL things for good - even our mistakes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!