Tuesday, November 18, 2014

He Was Bigger Than The Imagination

He grew up in Texas.He may have left the state, but the Texas never left him.

When he married his bride, he also married her 5 (count 'em FIVE) children. And then had 4 more with her.

I was never sure what he did exactly, but it had something to do with computers - back before computers were common.  Back when they filled a room.  So I was sure he must be very smart.

He would serenade little girls with songs like "You are my sunshine"

picture available as FREE printable at http://www.designerblogs.com/you-are-my-sunshine-free-printable/

He smoked constantly.   I remember him tearing the filters off his cigarettes when he couldn't buy them without any more.

He was tall and thin and always wore a cowboy hat. 

Because of both the above things - my sisters and I used to say he was like the real life Marlboro Man.

He lived in exotic places like... New Mexico!

And took me to see new places... like White Sands and across the border to Mexico.

And then he lived in an RV, traveling the country.  How cool was that?!?

He always seemed bigger than life.  Until today.  It's hard to believe that now he is gone.

RIP Grand-daddy. You'll always be my sunshine. 


post signature

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. What a great tribute to him. I can tell by your words how much you loved him and how special he was to you, and probably every one he knew. He sounds like a special man, you were lucky to have him in your life. I still miss my grandma, although she passed almost 20 years ago. I think it is so special that you are keeping his memory alive by writing about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a hoot and a fun man to look up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. Grief seems even harder around the holidays. My Dad passed away on December 4th...20 years this year. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks for your loss. You have written a beautiful tribute to what sounds to be an amazing man! :) Thank you for sharing your Grand-daddy with all of us at Treasure Box Tuesday! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was beautiful Beck. Made me smile and tear up all at the same time. One of the best men I ever known.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!