Monday, April 17, 2023

Quiet

 My One Word for 2023 is Explore. In the spirit of exploration, I made the decision not to stop at one word this year - but to also have a word for each month.   

During April, I have been exploring the word Quiet.

Life can feel overwhelmingly loud sometimes.  As I write this, I'm hearing the lawnmower in the yard, the neighbor kids yelling as they play, and my dogs barking at who-know-what outside the window. Wherever you are at any given time - there may be conversations, television, music, traffic, or crowds. There's the 24 hour news cycle, social media and streaming entertainment. Even the voices in our own heads can be very loud. 

This is a challenge for me, because I am very much a person who depends on background noise throughout my day.  Whether it's the television, an audio book, or music - I like to have something making noise while I work on other things.  

I am intentionally seeking Quiet moments in my day.  Turning off as much of the exterior noise as possible and enjoying the stillness that is left in its place. Listening for and appreciating the sounds of silence - the rustle of wind through the new leaves on the trees, the chirping of birds, or my own breathing. 

The hardest part  of finding Quiet has been the voices in my own head - especially the negative ones.  I am trying to find ways for quieting the fears, doubts, insecurities, and worries in order to make a bigger space for gratitude and joy.

A few years ago I was doing regular meditation, but recently I let that habit slip away.  It's something I would like to get back to.  Those few minutes of being quiet and still.  Finding the quiet space inside myself.  I haven't done it yet, but for the second half of the month I am going to prioritize it as part of my morning routine.

Do you enjoy the quiet or do you prefer to have the background sound?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!