Monday, June 26, 2023

Healthy

My One Word for 2023 is Explore. In the spirit of exploration, I made the decision not to stop at one word this year - but to also have a word for each month.

My word for June has been Healthy.

When I went for my yearly physical exam and labs in April, my numbers weren't great.  The good news is that they haven't gotten any worse. But, there wasn't much improvement either. This got me thinking about my overall health.

I'm not getting any younger. But I want to be around for as long as possible. I want to see my grandkids grow up. And maybe get the chance to meet my great grandkids. 

That's not going to happen if I don't take better care of myself.

It's not about being slimmer.  That would be nice, but it wasn't the focus.  It was about improving my cholesterol and blood sugar. It was about improving my energy levels.  It was about improving the quality of my sleep.  It was about how I feel and how I feel about myself. 

I ate more lean proteins, whole grains, and vegetables. I tried to snack more on fruit and less processed snacks. I cut back on the zero sugar soft drinks and drank more water. 

I made time to care for myself. Revamping my skincare routine.  Doing face masks, conditioning hair treatments, and giving myself regular mani/ pedis. 

I took the opportunity to meditate a couple of times a week.  I made time for prayer along with my morning devotional times. I read more and watched the television (especially the news) less. I stood outside and felt the sun on my face.

I know there's still plenty of room for improvement. I didn't exercise as much as I had hoped to do. Or drink as much water.

But right I'm choosing not to focus on what else I could have done. I'm choosing to be proud of what progress I did make, to continue with these healthier habits and to build from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!