Friday, June 21, 2024

What No One Told Me About Menopause: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over

This post is meant to share what I have learned about menopause based on my own experience.  It is in no way intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new healthcare regimen.  Never disregard medical advice or delay seeking help because of something you read on this website.

This past week has been a frustrating one. 

I was right at twelve months since my last monthly period.  The big milestone. That moment when you can consider yourself done with menstruation and officially menopausal. 

This was something I was not unhappy about.  I had been counting down the months and was more than ready to put that chapter of my life in the rearview mirror.

Twelve months and a few days. And that's when my body said "On second thought..." And I had a full blown, very normal, completely out of the blue period! 

What in the name of hot flashes and mood swings is going on here??

I suppose it shouldn't have come as a complete surprise. I have friends that had their cycle show back up after 11+ months.  Just the week before I was having some intense cravings for sweets and feeling a little weepy.  I even thought to myself, "If I didn't know any better, I would think I was having PMS."  Apparently I didn't know any better - and I was having PMS.  

So... I've double-checked with my doctor just to be sure everything is as it should be.   And now I have to start the count for 12 months all over again. 

The menopause journey... it can be quite frustrating!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!