Friday, February 10, 2012

Empty Spaces

I have two brass lantern-style candle lamps on my mantel.  They were once a treasured bargain find from 'Tuesday Morning'.  Now, I just find them tired looking.  Something which I don't even think much about unless it's that they need dusted or polished.  I don't care much for dusting or polishing; and it's because of this that I have decided it's time to find them a new home.  I was thinking about just that very thing this morning - moving the lamps off the mantel and on to the local Goodwill, perhaps.  The natural progression of that chain of thought seemed to be considering what else would go in their place.  I had no ideas and began thinking that maybe nothing should go there.  Maybe I would just like some empty space. 

Oddly enough, the next thought that popped into my head was how it would be nice to have some empty space in my life as well.  Space with no need to/have to/want to moving me along.  Empty space to just sit and be still.  No obligation looming.  No chore that needs to be completed.  No where to be.  Time to just sit in the silence.  Enjoying the quiet buzzing around us, listen to the birds, hear the breeze, the quiet whisper of God in my ear, or just my own thoughts.  Time to just BE.  Filled with absolutely nothing.

So many of us fill every waking moment with busyness.  Activities.  Places to go and things to do.  When was the last time we left room for some empty spaces?

2 comments:

  1. With a three year old and a one year old, I find myself craving empty space. I find it a lot in the bathroom... when I can get in there with anyone following me inside. ;-)

    Anyways, I just stopped to let you know I've tagged you on blog. Don't feel obligated to participate--I just wanted to give you a heads up!

    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No banging on the door or fingers poking underneath it? Lucky, lucky Mommy!!

    Cool! Thanx!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!