Tuesday, March 24, 2020

How Are You Doing ?

How are you doin? It's a mad, mad world we're living in right now.  Things are changing everyday thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.

Many of us are living a life we couldn't have imagined a month ago. Businesses closing.  Grocery store shelves are emptying as fast as stockers can fill them.  We're being told to stay home as much as possible.  Limit the number of people we gather with.  Keep a distance of at least six feet from anyone we encounter.  Suddenly we're a nation of homeschoolers - whether we want to or not. 

It's enough to give you a big ol' tension headache.  And good luck finding any Excedrin in stock at the local Walmart to help with that! 

Which brings me back to my original question.  How are you really doing? 

I thought I was handling things well, until I found myself crying one morning last week for pretty much no reason what-so-every.  That's when I had to take a deep breath and start asking myself, "What exactly is making you so anxious?"  It didn't take long to come up with a whole list of things (and y'all know how I love a list), but what it all boiled down to was that feeling of having no control over the situation.  

I can't control how long this will last, what's going to happen next, or, for the most part, whether my family gets sick or not.  I certainly can't control whether will be able to find what I need at the grocery stores, when the schools will be able to reopen, or what others are doing.  All the worrying in the world is not going to change any of that. 


With all this uncertainty,  is it any wonder we are feeling stretched to our emotional limits?


We all have to take care of ourselves right now.  Especially if we have others we need to care for and support through all of the changes and uncertainty.  That means finding ways to cope with our stress.


So, what are things we can do to help manage our anxiety levels?





Acknowledge Anxious Thoughts and Emotions  You're not the only one feeling this way.  It's only natural to be concerned and stressed during a time like this.  If you try to ignore those feelings - instead of going away, the pressure will keep building until you eventually  break.  It's better to accept them for what they are.

Set A Routine  When things feel out of control - control what you can. Setting a routine for yourself can give some familiarity and comfort to your days.  Scheduling your days, especially tasks and work assignments can be especially important if you are telecommuting during these days of quarantines and social distancing. 

Talk To Someone  As we are recommended put some distance between us, it's easy to feel isolated.  Reach out to others!  Have conversations with the other people in your home.  Call someone.  Skype or Facetime with people you can't visit in person right now.  

Talk About Something Else  We are all consumed by thoughts of the virus right now, but we don't have to be.  Find topics other than the pandemic to discuss and get your mind off it for a little while.

Turn It Off  Sure, we want to stay aware of the latest news and information.  But there's a fine line between staying informed and becoming overwhelmed.  Turn off the tv, the computer and maybe even the phone for a while to give yourself a break. 

Self Care  Make time to care for your physical, emotional and spiritual health.  Enjoy your favorite hobby.  Pray and/or meditate.  Step outside to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air

Get Some Sleep  Lack of sleep makes every little stress that much more difficult to handle.  It also contributes to anxiety and depression.  It also makes you more susceptible to illness.  Be sure to get your beauty rest!

We're all trying to find our way though this new normal.  Which doesn't feel normal at all.  

Be kind to yourself and others.  Practice patience.  Better days are coming.  














1 comment:

  1. These are such good ideas for managing stress. I'm glad to say I have been doing many of these things. Honestly I was feeling overjoyed with this slowdown seriously glad for the break... until yesterday. I know 3 people personally who now have the virus; I received some possibly devastating news from our boss at work; one of my employees is getting a job at a hardware store and I may need to replace them before all of this settles down. Today I'm definitely feeling the stress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!