Monday, May 15, 2023

Focus

If you've read my One Word for 2023 post, you know that this year I decided that I will also have a word for each month.  (if you haven't read that post yet - go ahead and do it now. I'll be right here when you're done)

My word for May is FOCUS.


You might recall from my May post that I had been feeling a little overwhelmed, scatter-brained, and out of sorts recently. I had a lot of trouble staying on task and accomplishing goals. It has been a real challenge for me.

Which is exactly why FOCUS made so much sense as my next Word of the month!

In April, (and even before that, if I am being honest) I struggled to find my focus. There have been so many different things calling out for my time and attention. As I spent time in the Quiet, I realized that much of the time I should be able to choose what is important to me and where I want to focus my time, attention, and efforts. 

I need to narrow things down. I can't truly give my best to anything if my focus is constantly being divided between dozens of activities, projects, or goals. What is most important? Or, at the very least, what is most important at this given moment? Stay focused on that until it is complete, or until it's time has past.

I am choosing to focus on myself and my health - physical, emotional, and spiritual. Focus on my marriage. Focus on my "children" - they may be grown, but that doesn't mean they don't occasionally still need my attention, help, or support. Focus on my grandchildren. Focus on things that bring me joy. Focus on things that get me closer to who, what, and where I want to be.

Focusing on what is most important isn't easy. It's not as if all the shiny things vying for my attention have just disappeared.  There will always be distractions. But I am slowly beginning to learn how to focus and tune out some of them. 

Where do you focus your time, attention, and effort?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!