Friday, December 12, 2014

The Holidays Can Bring Out the Best and the Worst in People

The other day the female offspring and I stopped at the post office to pick up stamps for Christmas cards.  It wasn't crazy busy, but it was pretty much hoppin' for our little small town postal facility.  Especially the parking lot.  It's to be expected - it's that time of year. 


photo: publicdomainpictures.net
As I was ready to leave there were two other cars also trying to vacate parking spaces.  Also a large truck and a mini-van looking for parking.

The older man in the truck stopped and waited to the other cars to leave.  I thought he was just waiting for one of those choice spots right in front of the door and was going to wait for him to go past before I tried backing up.  But then he waved me out also.  He was just being patient with all the other drivers.

The woman driving the minivan however, did not possess the virtue of patience that day.  She was a woman with places to go and things to do.  As clearly displayed by the way she decided she was done waiting for him to let everyone else go and came pulling on around him.  Swerving around (and between) both his tuck and my own vehicle in the process.  And - winner, winner, chicken dinner - she got herself one of those prized parking spots in front of the door as a reward for her aggressiveness.


The female offspring and I were both stunned!  Not only at her impatience, but how she was willing to risk a fender bender to get to a parking spot a whole 15 seconds faster than she otherwise would have.

As I circled around to pull out onto the road I looked back toward the building...

and saw the man from the truck hurry over and open the door to the post office for rude minvan lady!  Repaying her actions with an act of kindness.

It did my heart good to see that.  So.. thank you to the kind gentleman in the truck.   For reminding me that in the face of all the hostility and impatience of the holiday season - it is possible to stay positive and share kindness with others.  Even when they may not deserve it!


post signature
You can find me connecting at these Blog Hops and Link Ups

2 comments:

  1. So glad God allowed you to witness the kindness of this gentleman. He showed the true Spirit of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly inspiring! He was like the very embodiment of Ephesians 4:32 - "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!