Wednesday, December 12, 2012

i Can't Do it


I keep thinking (and writing) about what I need to do.

I need to change.  I need to be kinder.  I need to watch my tongue.  I need to...
I...  I... I...

Until the day came in my journey recently when a sudden clarity stopped me in my tracks.

You know what?  I can't do it!!

Don't you think if I could have done it on my own it would have happened by now?

Anyone who reads my blog is likely aware that I love a To Do list - probably a little too much. So it probably comes as no surprise that I feel like I should be in control.  I can't shake the feeling that there is a list of things I should be marking off one by one.

But that's not how it works, is it?

What I really need to do is to get out of God's way and let Him do His work in me.  I need to admit I need Him if any of those changes are going to take place.

I have to acknowledge His greatness, and my smallness.  I have to realize His strength in my weakness.

That's what I need to do

That's not to say I can just be idle.  Sitting back and waiting for miracles to happen.  There are steps I have to take myself.  But I have to recognize God is in control.  I can't do it alone. 

Scripture doesn't just tell me I can do some things, but that "I  can do all things through him who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13 ESV - emphasis mine)



7 comments:

  1. Great post. I told somebody just yesterday that I have a problem of always thinking I need to be in control. God is really working on me in that area of my life, too. I was struggling with something recently and I felt in my Spirit Him telling me that it wasn't my place to take care of the situation...it was HIS. Ouch!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an issue, as I feel that society as trained little girls to be organized and in control, and yet we have to realize we aren't in control of everything...

    I enjoyed this post, so glad you linked up!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im one of your newest followers from the Almost Friday Thursday Blog Hop. I would love for you to check my blog out and hopefully follow back!
    http://www.navywif33.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Into the Word- I have learned this struggled with this learned this struggled with this. It feels like I am constantly realizing "I can't do it" and leaving it with Christ only to realize I'm still trying to do it in another area. learning grace is so beautiful and yet so expansive and hard its almost incomprehensible. Great post!

    www.heyjudedylan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I have the exact same struggle and epiphany all the time! I love to do lists too and am a control freak. It is good that God humbles us and reminds us of how much we need Him!

    New follower from the blog hop! Looking forward to more:).

    Would love for you to follow my blog too!

    Tiffany
    http://thedwellingtree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, we can't do it on our own. Letting God have His way in us and through us is key! Thank you for sharing and linking up at Simply Helping Him! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this! The biggest struggle I had with coming to Christ was handing over the reins of control. Though it was such a difficult thing at the time, turning over control has brought me a great deal of peace today. However, I SO agree with you on the love of a To-Do list and won't ever feel the need to let those go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!