Thursday, February 23, 2017

Cleaning Make Up Brushes - the DIY way

You probably wash your face each day to clean away all the makeup, sweat, and oils that collect on your skin over the course of the day.  But what about your makeup brushes?  When was the last time you gave them a good cleansing? 

If it's been awhile - you are technically brushing all of that grime right back onto your face when you apply your makeup.  This can lead to everything from clogged pores, muddy looking makeup, and even infection.  YUCK!!



Fortunately, I have a super simple (and inexpensive) way of cleaning my brushes on a regular basis.

Mix 1 tablespoon Dawn dish soap (the original blue kind)  with 1/2 cup warm water in a small glass.




Dip each brush into the mixture, then swish it around to really clean the bristles. Brushes I use for "sticky" makeups - cream, gel, or liquid - I let soak for a minute or two before swishing.  You'll be amazed how quickly and easily the makeup comes of the brush.


This is the stipple brush I use for applying cream blush before cleaning:


And after: 


It really works that well, and quickly!


After cleaning the brushes, I put them in a bath of clear cool water for a few minutes and then give them all a good rinse.



And this is all the nasty stuff that came out of the brushes!  Ew...



I roll the brushes in a clean towel and give them a little squeeze to get the excess water out of the bristles.   Then place them up right in the (now rinsed out) glass to dry. 



And that's it.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezey! 

Do you clean your makeup brushes or applicators regularly?


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial. I have been buying expensive brush cleaner, but not anymore! I wear contacts, so I clean my brushes at least every other day. This will be wonderful, thank you, Beckey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!