Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Rest for the Weary

I'm tired.  Some days I would say that I'm exhausted, even.

As I mentioned in my monthly "Currently" post - having a puppy has seriously hurt my sleep pattern.  I'm staying up later than usual and getting up bright and early.  I'm definitely not getting as much sleep as I require.


Many Most  of us can relate.  Maybe you're not getting enough rest because of a new puppy, like me.  Or a new baby.  Or a big work project or some other commitment.   Maybe you're dealing with some insomnia.  At one point or another, we all go through a season or two, or five (or a dozen) when we feel tired.

But what if it's more than tired.  What if you are weary?

What's the difference?

Tired is a physical thing.  Tired is lack of physical energy. It's a matter of getting enough sleep... or not.

But weary goes right down to your soul.  Weary is when you are feeling completely depleted - physically, emotionally and/or mentally.  It's more than just being tired.

Either one can cause a strain on our day to day life.  Nothing makes us less able to cope with life's irritations (big or small) than when we feel fatigued.  I know when I am tired I am much easier to annoy.  I snap out at those I love for even silly little things.   And if a bigger problem should arise - forget about it!  Being tired is bad enough, but everything is magnified even bigger when we are weary.

So, what can we do to help avoid or recover from weariness?  A few simple steps may help ease the strain:

  • Ask for Support or Help:  Support - an understanding ear or actual help - from a friend or family member makes every stressful situation easier to bear.

  • Learn to Say "No":  Avoid overfilling your schedule.  Busyness leads to burnout

  • Self-care: Taking time for yourself will help to revive your spirit, refresh your energy levels and renew your productivity and creativity.

  • Get some rest! Being tired for an extended period can contribute, or lead to, weariness.  

If the weariness goes on for an extended period,  or is accompanied by other symptoms of depression including anxiety, sadness, hopelessness, loss of interest in pleasurable things, difficulty concentrating, etc - please, please, PLEASE see a professional!




This post is in no way intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!