Tuesday, April 14, 2020

What No One Told Me About Menopause: It's Unpredictable

This post is in no way intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new healthcare regimen, and never disregard medical advice or delay seeing help because of something you read on this website. 

When we go on vacation, I like to research where we are going and learn as much as I can about it.  I like to find some interesting sights to visit, restaurants to try, etc.  I'm the same way when I want to learn about a new hobby or experience.  I want to know what I'm getting myself into.  I'm not a planner, exactly - but I like to have some idea of what to expect. 

That's probably why, for me, the most frustrating part of this whole perimenopause experience is that's it's very unpredictable! 



As I said in "What No One Told Me About Menopause: It Can Last a Long Time" - the process is different for every woman, depending on factors such as genetics, general health, diet and lifestyle.  In other words, the most predictable thing about menopause it that it's unpredictable.

Your cycles may get longer, or they may get shorter.  Your periods may become lighter.  Or heavier.  Or it may be lighter than usual one month and with heavy bleeding the next.  You may have hot flashes and insomnia, or you may have mood swings and vaginal dryness.  You may have all of it.  Or none of it.  

For me, it has been all OVER the place.  In the past year my cycles have become extremely erratic, ranging anywhere from 15 days to 65 days.  I've had cycles when I experienced a period that was much lighter than what I am used to.  I've had ones that were almost horrifyingly heavy.  As I write this,  I'm on day 63, but I'm not sure if I should count the very light spotting one day last week as a menstruation or not.  (That all might be TMI... sorry)   

I've experienced days when I've had 3 or 4 hot flashes.  And days without any.  Nights when I can't sleep, nights when I sleep like a log and a few rare nights when I woke up drenched in sweat.  

I'm trying to take things in stride.  Whatever is gonna happen each month is what's gonna happen. I suggested to the Man of the House that we start making bets on how long each cycle will last to make it more interesting.  (He wasn't into that idea.)  

To get back to my main point - menopause is unpredictable.  Whatever you are experiencing is probably "normal" for you.  However, if you are concerned about any of your symptoms or if they are interferring with your quality of life - you should always discuss them with your doctor.  

Do you have questions about menopause?  Let me know in the comments and I'll try to answer them throughout the series.  



3 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry yours is so unpredictable! 'Trying to take things in stride' is such a great attitude. "I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our disposition and not on our circumstances." Martha Washington 1789 I pray it ends for you much sooner than expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! It's really not that bad, more just annoying

      Delete
  2. Nice Blog , This is what I exactly Looking for , Keep sharing more blog.
    symptoms of perimenopause at 44

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!