Monday, February 28, 2022

History Repeats

I saw a post on Instagram the other day about the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  It made a comment about being tired of living through historical circumstances.  Aren't we all? 

But you know what I'm really tired of?  RE-living historical circumstances. 

If there is one thing I've realized over the past couple of years - it's that we as humans have apparently haven't learned a darn thing in the past 100 years.  It became obvious right at the beginning of the Covid pandemic that we didn't learn any lessons from the Influenza pandemic of 100 years ago.  And now, here we are seeing a war that has more than subtle echoes of when Hitler invaded neighboring European countries under the guise of reclaiming lands that had once belonged to Germany.

I guess Winston Churchill was correct when he wrote that "Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

It has been easy to get sucked into the 24-hour news cycle over the past few days as I try to stay informed about the latest developments in Ukraine.  But I have to drag myself away from it from time to time. Otherwise, I start feeling sad, angry, scared, and helpless all at the same time.  Especially when I see the women and children forced to flee their homes or sheltering in subways during the night. 

I guess it's a good thing that I have a long to do list and plenty of goals to help distract me from the rabbit hole of news channels this week. That and a whole lot of prayer.







1 comment:

  1. Chuck and I were recently talking about the history of this and how close it resembles Hitler's invasion. I keep reminding myself that this hasn't taken the Lord by surprise and I pray often that He have mercy on the people of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!