Wednesday, March 16, 2022

What I'm Reading: "March"

As someone who loved Little Women and spent a short time in her early life wishing she could be Jo March, even for just one day - I was excited to finally read March by Geraldine Brooks. (Yes, I know it  won the Pulitzer Prize way back in 2006, but if you could see my TBR list, you would understand why it took me so long to get around to this)

March follows the father of the "Little Women" during the time he is absent from the original classic tale. It brings to life the previously untold story of his service as a chaplain in the Union army, as well as the back story of how he and Marmee met and fell in love. 

I feel that it's an interesting story. Good, but not great. It took me a while to get into the story as well as the characters. Papa March and Marmee are not exactly the kindly, understanding, loving characters we know from Little Women.  Mr. March is a bit self-centered for my taste.  But that very flaw is a big part of what drives his actions and the plot. My feelings about this book swung wildly from frustration to being completely enthralled.

March is also not an easy read.  Ms. Brooks doesn't paint a sugar-coated picture about the horrors of war, battlefield hospitals, or slavery. If you are sensitive to violence or brutality, you may want to give it a pass.

If you are looking for another Little Women, this isn't it.  If you are looking for a well-written alternate story to that childhood classic - pick up a copy of March.

⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!