Wednesday, May 26, 2021

What I'm Reading Wednesday: The Four Winds

 A couple of weeks ago, I started doing "What I'm Reading Wednesdays" on my Instagram.  I had originally planned it as a new feature for the blog, but, well - what can I say? - I'm a little slow to get that ball rolling.  But its time has finally arrived! 




This week I'm reading The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah.  


Texas, 1934. Millions are out of work and drought has broken the Great Plains. Farmers are fighting to keep their land and their livelihoods as the crops are failing, the water is drying up, and dust threatens to bury them all. One of the darkest periods of the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl era, has arrived with a vengeance.

In this uncertain and dangerous time, Elsa Martinelli—like so many of her neighbors—must make an agonizing choice: fight for the land she loves or go west, to California, in search of a better life. The Four Winds
 is an indelible portrait of America and the American Dream, as seen through the eyes of one indomitable woman whose courage and sacrifice will come to define a generation.  (Description from Goodreads.com)



I have previously read The Nightingale, Winter Garden, and The Great Alone by the same author and enjoyed each one.  Ms. Hannah has become one of the authors that I want to auto-add to my 'To Be Read' list as soon as I see that she has a new book being published.

Ms. Hannah writes beautiful stories- especially her historical fiction.  They are meticulously researched, and she creates characters that you learn to love (or admire, or hate) So far, this book is just as wonderful as the others I have read.  I hope it continues to live up to my expectations. 

I saw a few reviews that took issue with how sad the story is and how much tragedy the main character must endure.  The timeline for this novel is the Great Depression!  Why do they think it was called that?  The suffering and tragedy is what thousands - if not millions of Americans lived through every single day of that time period.  To sugar-coat it or cheer it up a bit wouldn't be true to the era.  

What are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!