Friday, June 8, 2012

Controlling Fear

The words stared up at me from the page.  "In those early years, I was afraid of so many things that I tried to control everything" (Lisa Burke)  The sentence rang suspiciously true in my own life, and set my mind spinning.  Is the need to control things, to be in control - a symptom of fear? 

The answer that came back to me was a resounding: Yes, it probably is.

As women we so often feel the need to control things.  To manage things.  To multi-task.  So many women are managing their family - with kids in umpteen different directions, their homes, a marriage or other relationship, work, etc, etc, etc.  Admit it, how many of you can say you have "control issues"?

And what is it we're afraid of?  What is going to happen if we let something so?  What is the worst that will Really happen if we just take a step back and let a few chips fall where they may? 

Are we afraid of appearing not good enough?  Of being perceived as a bad mother?  That our relationship will fail?  That we will be found lacking or a failure? 

Can we find the courage to relinquish control of a few of our fears?  To jump into the deep end.  Let go of the handlebars.  Take our hands off the wheel.   To "let go and let God". 

I doubt the consequences would be as devastating as many of us imagine.  In fact, we might find a sense of freedom, especially from those fears that have control of us. 

1 comment:

  1. So true! I have to tell myself that often...."Let go and let God" as I can't control nearly as much as I think I can.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!