Monday, March 4, 2013

And Then I Look In The Mirror



I keep saying I still feel 26 years old. 

In fact, I often say I am now (and always will be) 26 years old.

I still feel like I did when I was 26 much of the time. 

And then I look in the mirror...


Sometimes I'm still shocked when I don't see my 20 something year old face looking back at me. 

But the truth is that somewhere in the blink of an eye that 26 year old young woman was 17 years - and an entirely different person - ago.

This woman is most definitely not 26. She has a few more lines across the forehead, and is starting to notice a few around the eyes and mouth. She is carrying more weight than she did at 26. She has more aches and pains that that 26 year old ever knew. She has an occassional hot flash. 

She also has another child.  And a grandchild.  She has years more of life's lessons behind her.  She is older.  She is wiser.  And in many ways better. 

So, while it's OK to still feel 26 - it's also OK to be that older woman in the mirror.  She's pretty great too.

I wonder if when I'm 60 I'll be saying I still feel 43?  And then I'll look in the mirror...












12 comments:

  1. ^ Oops, not sure what happened with the post above me, lol.

    I feel exactly like the words you wrote here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate. In my head I am still a kid, an illusion I can maintain if I avoid that pesky mirror! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I totally get it. As a matter of fact, I wrote about it yesterday. HA! I'm 56. Sweety, life keeps getting better. Your body doesn't, but life does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's definitely more important to feel 26 rather than to look 26! :) Off the top of my head - no idea how old I will be on my birthday next month, because I quit keeping that number in my mind. I actually have to count it up when people ask me how old I am. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh be quiet.. little Mrs 30-something! ;0)

      Delete
  5. When I start thinking about my age, I try to remind myself to be thankful to have the chance to grow old, since some don't. So great that you still feel 26 a lot of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to go read your post Karen! Funny we both wrote about aging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, I totally relate. I still think last year was the 90s..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!