Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Love Dare: Day 26

“You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things” ~ Romans 2:1


Day 26: Love is responsible

We are often quick to find fault with others.

But what about when we look in the mirror?

We make excuses. We justify our actions. We blame someone else. Or maybe we feel superior.

Love doesn’t make excuses. It doesn’t pass the blame. It doesn’t justify selfish motives. Love admits how much room there is for improvement. Love keeps working to make that improvement and make a difference.

What would happen in marriages if we stopped blaming the other and admitted their own wrongs?

If each took responsibility for their wrongs and was willing to make corrections?

To stop focusing on what I want and focus on the needs of the other?

This doesn’t mean one spouse is a doormat who takes all the blame all the time. It’s just about owning up to your own shortcomings and doing your best to make things right from your end.

Ask God to show you where you have failed in your responsibility. Admit when you’ve stumbled and ask forgiveness. Correct your offenses and repair the damage.

TODAY’S DARE: TAKE TIME TO PRAY THROUGH YOUR AREAS OF WRONG DOING. ASK FOR GOD’S FORGIVENESS, THEN HUMBLE YOURSELF ENOUGH TO ADMIT THEM TO YOUR SPOUSE. DO IT SINCERELY AND TRUTHFULLY. ASK YOUR SPOUSE FOR FORGIVENESS AS WELL. NO MATTER HOW THEY RESPOND, MAKE SURE YOU COVER YOUR RESPONSIBILITY IN LOVE. EVEN IF THEY RESPOND WITH CRITICISM, ACCEPT IT BY RECEIVING IT AS COUNSEL.

I hate admitting I’m wrong. I’ll do pretty much anything to avoid it. I’ll even twist when I’m wrong to make it seem like even though I was wrong, I wasn’t reeeaaally wrong. Because of that little piece of my personality, this dare was a huge challenge for me. There was a lot of praying going on! It certainly wasn’t easy – or fun.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely have room to grow in my relationship, and some areas of wrong doing.

    I'm sure it will be hard to admit them to the boif, but I will try - I, too, hate admitting when I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!