Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mom Saves Dinner

It was time to fix dinner. Enchiladas.  Mmmm...  enchiladas.  I was looking forward to this.  I went to take the needed items out of the fridge only to discover someone had been eating the tortillas. 

I'm not pointing any fingers, but the usual suspect is the Little Man (aka: the almost 13 year old bottomless pit!).  The boy would easily empty my cabinets in the blink of an eye if given the chance!

Now what am I supposed to do having only about 1/2 the needed amount of tortillas for my enchiladas?  My mind races, it scrambles.  I'm thinking... "Great, I hope people aren't actually hungry tonight"  I stare at the remaining ingredients for a short time.  And then inspiration strikes. 

I prepare the filling as usual.  Diced chicken, black beans, shredded cheese, a little enchilada sauce.  And then, instead of filling and rolling the tortillas - I grab a casserole dish and alternate layers of the filling with what was left of the tortillas, topping it all with more sauce and shredded cheese.  20 minutes at 350 degrees until bubbly. And  VOILA! 

Mom saved the day.  Or at least the dinner.  And it was quite delicious if I do say so myself!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. If I were closer I'd run right over. :( Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!