Monday, July 17, 2017

Cooking by the Seat of My Pants

Sometimes what starts out looking like a recovery-less setback actually turns out to be a fortunate series of events.  Take yesterday's dinner for example...


It all started when I planned to make THIS Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken recipe for dinner.  However, I quickly realized someone had finished off my lemon juice.  It's hard to make lemon chicken without the lemon.   I did, however, have lime juice.

OK... I can make this work.  Although plain ol' lime chicken sounded a little bit... um, boring.  And a whole lotta lime-ish.  What could I do to make this better?

I decided to add some chili powder and cilantro.  Chili Lime Chicken.  That's a thing. Right?  Well, if it wasn't before - it is now!



It turned out to be quite tasty.  I know this, not just because I ate it myself - but because the Man of the House told me so.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 cup chicken broth (fat free, low sodium)
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • ¼ cup flour ( option: use corn starch for gluten free)
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons dried cilantro

Directions
Place chicken thighs in slow cooker

Combine broth, juice, flour, cumin, chili powder and cilantro - stirring with a whisk. Pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours. 

I served it over brown rice with steamed broccoli and avocado slices.  Yummy!



Have you ever had to make last minute changes to a recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!