Friday, November 19, 2021

What No One Told Me About Menopause: It's Hot

This post is meant to share what I have learned about menopause based on my personal experience. It is in no way intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new healthcare regimen.  Never disregard medical advice or delay seeking help because of something you read on this website.

If I had a dollar for every time I have said "Why is it so hot in here?" over the last couple of years, I would have - well, a LOT of dollars!  


Everyone knows about hot flashes and menopause.  Right?  Most everyone?  Probably everyone.  The majority of women going through perimenopause or menopause experience them.  But what do we really know about them?  What do they feel like? What causes them? And what can we do about them?  

Let's start with what we feel during a hot flash:
  • a sensation of heat in the upper body - chest, face, neck, and arms (makes sense, right?)
  • redness of the skin causing it to appear blotchy or as if you are blushing
  • sweating
  • increased heart rate
  • feelings of stress or anxiety
In my experience, these symptoms can range from mild where I just feel a little warmer and flushed, to a full-on "I'm on fire" sensation with sweat pouring out of my chest, back, and underarms.  (you're welcome for THAT mental image)  They can be rather short - just a minute or two.  Or they can last for several minutes. 

Why do we experience these flashes of heat during perimenopause and menopause?  Well, to be completely honest - no one exactly knows for sure.  But, according to the Mayo Clinic, fluctuating estrogen levels cause the hypothalamus to become more sensitive to temperature changes - even slight ones. When our body's thermostat thinks we've become too warm, it starts a series of events to cool us down resulting in a hot flash.  

This makes sense to me because I seem to be much more sensitive to temperature these days - both hot and cold.  I'm constantly adding or shedding layers of clothing, opening and closing windows, and adjusting the heat or air in my car in an attempt to stay comfortable. 

So, the big question - what can we do about them?  Unfortunately, if you are one of the many women who will experience hot flashes, there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to completely avoid them.  But there are things we can do to help reduce the frequency or intensity of them and ways to cope when they do strike.

  • Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods which may trigger hot flashes. 
  • Sip cold water when you feel a hot flash coming on.  
  • Adding plant estrogens into your diet may with the frequency and severity of hot flashes. Examples of plant estrogens include soy, chickpeas, lentils, and flaxseeds.
  • Dress in layers. 
  • Keep your room at a cooler temperature. 
  • Quit smoking
  • Try meditation, yoga, or breathing exercises to help relax and ease stress
  • Herbal  and/or vitamin supplements such as black cohosh, evening primrose, Vitamin E, etc 
  • Hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
I recommend talking with your health care provider before starting any supplements or making any drastic dietary changes. They can help you decide what might work best for you and assure that you aren't taking anything that may react negatively with any medications you are taking. n

For the first few years, my hot flashes were not bad at all.  They happened infrequently and didn't bother me too much.  Until they did.  It seemed as if all of a sudden they were happening much more often. Several times a day.  And they were more intense when they occurred.  I started cutting back on caffeine and added sugars, and started taking Black Cohosh, Red Clover, and Evening Primrose supplements.  This seems to be helping and my hot flashes are feeling less frequent and more manageable. 

Stay cool!


  











2 comments:

  1. Wow! Mine came in full force and landed me on anxiety and depression. I did all you mention above, and at a point it was almost like trial and error. It is cooler and manageable now. Thank be to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. It does seem to be a trial and error. I feel that when it comes to menopause there hasn't been a lot of support in the past - even from the medical community.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!