Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Like A Dog

One morning recently I mentioned that I wish I could be as excited as the dog is each and every morning  to take a drive down to the bus stop.  Whether it's nice outside, cold or rainy - the minute the alert sounds on my phone to head for the bus he is pacing around, wide eyed and ready to go.

As I vocalized this thought, The Man of the house made a comment that maybe we need to be more like the dog. And as I thought about it, I realized he may be right!


Whenever a member of the family comes home, Oscar is always happy to see us.  Whether we've been gone 5 minutes, 5 hours, or 5 days.  He is usually right there to greet us as we come in.  He lets us know he missed us and is happy to have us back home.

It's not just family either.  When anyone - friend or stranger - arrives, the dog vocalized his greeting, welcomes them as they come inside, and gives them a good sniffing over.  Which I'm pretty sure is the dog equivalent of a big hug. Although I don't think any of us should ever be so excited to see anyone that we pile on the floor.  (And that includes you too, Oscar!)

The simplest things make the dog happy.  Every day he dives into his bowl of food with great pleasure.  Never once pausing to grumble that it's the same thing he ate the day before.  And the day before that.  Going for a ride in the car or a walk around the neighborhood  are pure bliss for him.  He never complains that he's bored.  Ever.

So... maybe it is time to start behaving more like a dog. Enjoy the little things.  Don't complain.  Be happy to see people - and show it. 




post signature

2 comments:

  1. I'm a firm believer we can learn a lot from animals...and their "instinct"!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe you're right! Have a wonderful day Mrs Deb.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!