Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Saving Money and Reducing Waste

I never considered myself one of those people who would make the switch from paper to cloth napkins.  Cloth napkins were for special occasions and restaurants - not every day use.  Right?  Right! 

That is, until I recently started thinking about all the trash we dispose of over the course of a week.  And how much we spend on all those cloth napkins over the weeks, months, and years.  YIKES!  Suddenly, cloth napkins seemed not only doable - but quite reasonable. 

I found a good deal on some nice simple white napkins through Amazon.  Which will pay for themselves pretty quickly, considering the cost of paper napkins!


I keep a few folded in the napkin holder on the table, where I used to keep paper napkins.  And now some also live in a little wooden box on the kitchen counter where I can grab one instead of always reaching for the paper towels.


I put a special little basket under the sink for the used napkins - which I take to the laundry room every other day or so when I do a load of whites. 

So far it's working out perfectly! Despite the male offspring constantly informing at first that "this is just a bad idea". 

Now, I'm thinking about "unpaper towels"...

2 comments:

  1. Such a good idea! I agree that we use way too many paper product is this country, the poor trees!

    I like the idea of using cloth and have done it in the past. It's just so stinkin' hard to break that paper habit! Kudos to you, I think I'll give it another chance as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We switched to cloth napkins a few months back and have been very happy with them! I haven't switched away from paper towels just yet, because I use them for cleaning windows and mirrors, but I'm thinking about it, and I did get some nice kitchen hand towels, so we don't use paper towels to dry hands anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!