Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Cleaning Your Makeup Blending Sponge

When it comes to make up, I am a big ol' girly-girl.  I love the stuff!  I wear it almost every day.  If you have ever seen me without makeup - we were on a beach somewhere, or for some reason you have been around me just before I went to sleep or in the wee hours of the morning.  (or you're some creepy stalker type person, but I know you're not)

When you love wearing and applying makeup like I do, your applicators get dirty pretty quick.  And not washing them leads to muddy looking makeup and clogged pores. In the past I have shared how I wash my makeup brushes.




A while back I began using a sort of egg-shaped makeup sponge for applying my foundation, as well as blending my concealer and contouring.   This handy tool also gets gunky rather quickly.


Look at all the old makeup in that sponge! EW!




I use the same supplies to clean my sponge as I do for my brushes - Dove dish soap and water.  I begin by mixing a quarter cup of the dish soap and 3 cups of warm water in a bowl deep enough to submerge the sponge.




Dip the sponge into the soapy water and give it several good squeezes.  You'll see makeup start coming out of the sponge immediately




Let the sponge soak for a little while.  I've left it for as long as a couple of hours.

See hoe much the water has changed?  All of that was hiding inside the sponge!


Now it's time to rinse.  Take your time with this and be thorough.  You don't want any soap remaining inside your sponge.  So, rinse and squeeze.  Rinse and squeeze.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.




Once you're satisfied that your sponge is free from soap, squeeze out any excess water and allow it to air dry.




I rinse my makeup sponge after every use and try to wash it about once a week to keep it clean and help it to last longer.

Let me know if you try this method and how it works for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!