Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Time for Your Mammogram? 4 Tips to Make It Easier

 Last week, I had my annual mammogram appointment.  And tomorrow I have to go back for more "targeted" images.  I shouldn't be surprised.  More often than not, when I have my screening mammogram there's "something new" on the images and I end up having to go back for diagnostic imaging. You might think I should just be used to it, and mostly I am.  But it also still makes me a little nervous. 

The good news is that if that "something new" ever turns out to be the worst-case scenario, because I am diligent about getting my exams and mammograms - it would be caught early and be more treatable.  Which is exactly the point of regular mammogram screenings.  The American Cancer Society and the CDC recommend starting regular annual breast cancer screenings sometime between the age of 40 and 45 for women of average risk.  Women aged 45 to 54 should receive annual screening. After age 55, women can switch to every other year or continue with yearly mammograms.  

If you are preparing for your first mammogram, here are a few tips to help make it as easy as possible:

  • If possible, schedule your appointment for a time of the month when your breasts are less likely to be tender.  If you are pre-menopausal, this is usually about a week after your period.
  • Avoid using deodorants, antiperspirants, powders, lotions, creams, or perfumes under your arms or on your breasts. They can contain particles that can be picked up by a mammogram and may cause you to need further screening and unnecessary stress.
  • Don't wear any necklaces.  If you do, you will be asked to remove them to assure that they don't interfere with the images.  Leaving them at home means one less thing to keep up with. 
  • Wear an outfit with a separate top and bottoms. You will need to undress from the waist up for the procedure and wear a robe or gown that is provided to you.  Wearing a dress or romper is going to leave you feeling even more exposed.
Most importantly, if you do get a call back for more screening - don't panic! An abnormal mammogram doesn't mean you have breast cancer.  Like I said, I am required to go back for more images almost every time.  And, just like for most women who experience the same thing, it has never led to anything.  

Have you had your mammogram this year? 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!