Wednesday, February 7, 2024

It's Almost Tłusty Czwartek!

Chances are you're familiar with Mardi Gras - or Fat Tuesday.  You may know all about Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday). But what about Tlusty Czwartek, or Fat Thursday - also known as Paczki Day?

As you may recall, I have been exploring more of my Polish heritage since connecting with my father's birth family last year.  And learning about " Fat Thursday", or "Paczki Day", from my cousin was a pleasant surprise!

Tlusty Czwartek is observed on the last Thursday before the beginning of Lent.  Much like Mardi Gras or Shrove Tuesday, it is an opportunity to indulge (over indulge?) before the abstinence and fasting of the Lenten season. 

In Poland, this day of indulgence includes 'paczki", a Polish dessert which is very similar to a jelly or custard filled donut. Hence, "Paczki Day". Cooking (and then consuming) large batches of Panczki was a good way to use up your supply of butter and sugar so they didn't go bad during Lent.  Much like the English tradition of consuming pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.  

Speaking just for myself, I can't pass up an opportunity to treat myself to a donut-like treat.  I'm not having any luck finding paczki near where I live, and I'm not feeling quite braveenoughto try making my own. But, I think my Polish grandmother would understand if I substitute them with some Krispy Kreme.  

Have you ever heard of Fat Thursday or Paczki Day?  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!