Monday, May 30, 2016

Bittersweet

So, my "baby boy" turns 18 years old today. And in less than two weeks he'll graduate from high school.

I'm so excited for him.  Although he has no idea what he ultimately wants to do (how many of us really did at 18?), the future is wide open in front of him.  I can hardly wait to see where this next season of life takes him.  Who he is going to become.

I have to admit though, it's not just all joy and happiness and excitement.  There's also some nostalgia.  And some tears.  Some apprehension.

To be completely honest I find myself feeling a little disoriented.  Ungrounded. Unsure. In unfamiliar territory.

photo: publicdomainpictures.net


You see, he's not the only one facing a new season of life.  For the past 23 years I have been mom.  My main job has been to raise these 2 amazing people and help them get ready for..  well, exactly where he is now.  Preparing to step over that threshold into adulthood.

I know, I know...  once a mother, always a mother.  And I will always be here for my offspring no matter how old they get.  But motherhood is going to... should... look a lot different from here on out.

Which leaves me wondering what my own next season of my own life is going to look like.  What is my role?  How will I define myself moving forward?

I guess it's an exciting (and a little scary) time for both of us!


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Happy, Happy Birthday to your son. Ohhhhhh how I understand what your saying...my son (and only child) was 16 when he graduated and I had the same thoughts and still do. When he turned 18, my husband turned to me and said, "It is time for you to fly. You will always be his mother and my wife, but it is time for you to get out and do your own thing."

    It is scary to think of the future for us both (all three of us)--his life is starting and my life, it seems, even at this age of 49, is just starting.

    Keeping you in prayer and know, you are not alone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your son!
    And a prayer for your heart...
    Change is exciting, but heartbreaking as well.
    Best wishes. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done such a great job with those two! Now, you get to decide what's next! The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!