Tuesday, April 13, 2021

How Sweet It Isn't

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I was talking about needing to improve my health to get the numbers for my blood work under control and I said I needed to get my blood sugar managed before it becomes a "real problem"? 

Well, after hearing from my doctor - it turns out that it already IS a real problem.  Apparently, my A1C levels put me in the official range of "pre-diabetes".  

Ugh... This makes all those life changes mentioned before even that much more important.  

So, what's a gal to do when she hears the dreaded word "pre-diabetes"?  

If you're like me, you start with educating yourself and that's when you realize that with some simple changes, you can improve your numbers and avoid moving on to Type 2 Diabetes.  




Here are some tips to help improve your A1C number:

Increase Your Activity Level:  Regular exercise including both cardio/aerobic exercise and strength or resistance training significantly improve your insulin resistance and manage your blood sugar levels by triggering the muscles to pull sugar from the bloodstream.  (Confession: this is still something I need to work on)

Adjust Your Diet: Some things such as sugary drinks and treats are going to need to be avoided.  You should focus on eating lean proteins and fresh produce.  Carbohydrates should be rich in fiber and nutrients (think brown rice, whole grains, and quinoa) and should be paired with protein and some healthy fat.  This causes the energy from the food to be released more slowly and decreases spikes in blood sugar.

Invest in some good measuring cups and spoons, and a kitchen scale if you don't have these.  Portion sizes matter. When you eat more food than your body needs - blood sugar levels increase.

Meal Planning:  Planning meals in advance make you less likely to skip meals, go too long without eating, or grab the most convenient option - which all too often turns out to be something calorie-dense, nutrient-poor, and high carbohydrate.

Obviously - if your doctor recommends medication or regular glucose monitoring - do it! Fortunately, I am not yet at a point where my doctor has suggested these. And by sticking to the plan that's now in place - I hope to avoid them altogether.

Have you ever been told that your blood sugar or A1C levels were too high?  What steps did you take to get your numbers under control?  Share in the comments!


Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new healthcare regimen. Never disregard medical advice or delay seeking help because of something you read on this website.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!