Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge: Mama's Farmhouse

The Man of the House and I are celebrating 20 years of marriage this week. In honor of the occasion we decided to take a little 3 day weekend getaway and go somewhere we've never been before. The destination was Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

Our first night in Pigeon Forge, I was ready for some good Southern cooking.  We selected "Mama's Farmhouse" for our dinner. 




Mama's Farmhouse is southern food served family style.  No menus.  They bring whatever they are fixing that day out to the table!  The night we were there it was fried chicken, fried fish, meatloaf, soup beans, cole slwaw, mashed potatoes, and honey carrots.  Your choice of peach cobbler or banana pudding for dessert.

Best sweet tea I have had in a long time!
I wish I had more pictures of the food to share, but once it arrived I was so busy eating (and enjoying!) it that I simply forgot to snap more photos! 

The fried chicken was perfect!  Nice and crispy on the outside, moist and delicious on the inside.  All of the sides were simply southern perfection.  Nothing tasted frozen or canned.  It tasted, well... homemade!  I'm not big on cooked carrots, and I even had two servings of those!  That's how good they were.  The peach cobbler with ice cream was the perfect ending to the meal.

To be honest, I'm still thinking about that meal.  And a big part of me wishes we had gone back to try Mama's breakfast too! 


1 comment:

  1. I have been here before! I went when my family and I got a gatlinburg vacation home rental for a week in Gatlinburg. The fried chicken is incredible! I didn't get a chance to try the sweet tea, but the waitress told us that was a local favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!