Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Delayed

It drives me crazy.  

I tell the offspring to do something.  (maybe it's to empty the dishwasher, maybe take out the trash - the what isn't important)  The offspring doesn't move.

I make my request again.  And a response along the lines of "OK, in a minute" comes back at me. 

I tell him (or her) AGAIN. With slightly less patience this time. This time I hear "I will" or "I'm going to".

By this point in the exchange, I am fuming.  If I asked to have it done, I want it done when I ask.  Quit stalling and just DO IT already!

It was during one of these times when God asked me: "How often do you do the same thing to me?"

Oh...

So many times I have felt tug at my heart with something (maybe it was to call that friend or relative, or to write a note or send a card to someone - the what isn't important) and I have turned the other way.  I put it off, thinking to myself "Sure, I'll get to that later". 

Does it hurt and frustrate God when I delay doing something he has asked of me in the same way it does me with my own children? I'm sure it probably does. 

"If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them." ~ James 4:17


Delayed obedience is the same as disobedience. 

Stop putting it off.  Just DO IT already!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beckey,
    I'm facing this issue in my life right now. I need to stop delaying and get on with it. Thanks for the nudge!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beckey! Sing it sister, I hear you. I hold back obedience to God, and it's so stupid. Kind of like the kids who don't more. What's it gonna get you? Nothing. Still have to do it!

    So nice to have met you today :)

    Coming over from Winsome Wednesdays,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!