Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Love Dare: Day 3

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. ~ Romans 12:10



Day 3: Love is not selfish

There it was.  The first two days had quietly whispered to me about my selfish nature.  Day three was going to shove it right in my face.

We're all selfish to some extent.  Of course we are.  Today's world tells us it's all about "self". 

My happiness.

My stuff.

My feelings.

My rights.

What I want.

What I deserve.

Selfishness.  It's something we condemn in others.  And justify in ourselves.  I'm just as guilty of this hypocrisy as anyone else. 

Even in moments of generosity or kindness, I can be selfish.  Because I am often looking for the recognition and praise for my actions. 

Scripture calls us to "Do nothing from selfish or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves" (Philippians 2:3)
Selfishness... looking out for my own interest rather than the interest of someone else.  Which makes me wonder if that's the same as loving myself more than someone else.  And what kind of message that sends the person I love and have chosen to spend my life with?

TODAY'S DARE: WHATEVER YOU PUT YOUR TIME, ENERGY, AND MONEY INTO WILL BECOME MORE IMPORTANT TO YOU.  IT'S HARD TO CARE FOR SOMETHING YOU ARE NOT INVESTING IN.  ALONG WITH RESTRAINING FROM NEGATIVE COMMENTS, BUY YOUR SPOUSE SOMETHING THAT SAYS "I WAS THINKING OF YOU TODAY."

This dare concerned me a little.  Since I am no longer working outside the home, I don't really have any disposable income to buy little goodies.  But I did have some Starbucks cards I had received as Christmas gifts.  Now, if you know me - you know I love my coffee.  And Starbucks is one of my very favorite treats.  Because of this it would have been very easy for me to be selfish with my Starbucks cards and keep it for my own enjoyment.  But in the spirit of the dare I offered to get a coffee treat for The Man of the House when we stopped to pick up a few items on the way home from church. 

I also chose to invest some time that afternoon.  The Man of the House was going to the park to fly his r/c plane, and the female offspring was going with to take some pictures with her new camera.  He asked if I wanted to go.  My first reaction was "no".  I wanted to take a nap.  I wanted to do some laundry.  I knew it would be chilly.

I... I... I... 

Looking out for my own interest before those of my spouse.  I put all those "I want" on a shelf and put on my tennis shoes to tag along. 

And ya know what?  We had a nice little time at the park for an hour or so.  (even if it was cold)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!