Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Not Off To A Good Beginning

I'm afraid this makes it official.  I'm beginning to lose it.  The ol' brain cells are not firing off as well as they used to.  I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.  The gerbil has fallen off the wheel.  What has brought me to this realization you ask?  Oh, it's a doozy.  Ready for this one? 

I forgot to send The Little Man to school yesterday.

Yes, you read that correctly.  It's not a typo.  Or a joke.  You are not delusional.  I simply did not send my son to school on a regularly scheduled school day.

Now, to my defense - it was the first day back after Christmas break.  The Man of the House and I both had the day off for the New Year holiday.  And for whatever reason I really was convinced that there was no school also.

Until I drove past the local elementary school yesterday afternoon and noticed all the cars in the parking lot.  And the sign out front which read "Jan 2 - Welcome back"  I said a couple of choice words as I realized exactly what I had done.  And sure enough, last night we got the automated "your child was absent from school today" phone call.  Yikes...

I'm sure The Little Man would argue with my feeling that this does not get the new year off to a glowing start.  He's likely on the verge of giddy to have been given an extra day of Christmas break.  (Which has grown into two extra days now thanks to school being canceled today due to light snow fall and sub-zero wind chills)

Now I find myself trying to fashion the least embarrassing excuse note possible to send in with him.  I'm not sure "Please excuse my son from school on Monday.  I did not realize classes were being held that day" is the best way to go.  Perhaps a more vague "My son was absent from school on Monday because we were still on vacation" is a better way to go?

6 comments:

  1. Hey, that is better than forgetting to pick him up from school! Nothing wrong with a little extra family time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your defense, I'm sure there were others that were absent yesterday.

    For most around here, yesterday was just a teacher workday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can SO relate! I've forgotten to pick my little Kitten up after school before. It's a horrifying feeling, but nice to know you're not alone, eh? I just found your blog from the January NaBloPoMo linky. Enjoyed reading & browsing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing my head off. I had a terrible first day of first grade with my daughter. I'll have to blog about because it's too long to go into here. Still laughing at you...you're priceless. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ a.eye - I know you're right. My friend who is a principal just laughed about it.

    @ Anne Marie - LOL Done that before too! And it is nice to know you're not alone.

    @Cath - it's always a good day if I can make someone laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!