Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Reading the Labels

Labels.  I keep reading about labels.  Labels we put on other people.  Labels we put on ourselves.

First it was Lysa TerKeurst's new book Unglued reminding me that labels can "imprison us in categories that are hard to escape".   This morning it was Upward Not Inward talking about the self inflicted labels and how "they are hard to ignore because deep down you know they are true, at least partially".  Even my recent post  Measuring Up deals indirectly with labels - comparing those we place on someone else with those we've put to ourselves and feeling as if we come up short.

Don't kid yourself.  That old childhood chant about sticks and stones breaking bones, it's wrong.  Words can hurt.  They can leave marks that last days, years, or even a lifetime.

Worthless.

That's the very worst of the worst.  It's the one we most often place on ourselves.  Because, in the end, that's where so many of the other labels are headed.

When we tell ourselves:
I'm stupid.
I'm ugly.
I'm a mess.
I'm a push over.
I'm disorganized.
I'm a bad mother.
I'm always late.
I'm a hypocrite.
I'm lonely.
I'm an addict.
I'm a nerd.
I'm no good at (fill in the blank)

.. at some point those thoughts are likely to arrive at "worthless". 

Even though God tells us over and over again in His word how valuable we are! As Lysa says in Unglued: "Those labels start out as little threads of self-dissatisfaction but ultimately weave together into a straitjacket of self-condemnation."

Even though God tells us over and over again in His word how valuable we are!  Scripture tells us that we are His workmanship, his masterpieces.

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. ~ Ephesians 2:10

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well ~ Psalm 139:14

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. ~ Luke 12: 6-7

But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us ~ Romans 5:8

Did you catch that? 

Wonderfully made.  With a purpose.  Loved.  Full of worth!

Now, how do you like those labels?

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! And those labels are awesome because they are TRUTH! So glad my post spoke to you. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! Your blog inspires me on a spiritual level daily! I appreciate the creative inspiration also. God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written. I followed you here from your comments on upward not inward. I'm glad I found your blog. Marci...www.lifewithjoys.blogspot.com. Btw... I look forward to reading more as I'm your newest follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marci! I am so glad you came to visit and decided to follow! I will skip over and check out your blog today. :0) Many blessings!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post! I hope lots of people see this, and realize how words can inflict so much pain both to your person and your soul. I love how you are sharing God's message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was young when I began believing negative labels laid upon my shoulders, and even creating new ones for myself. When I came to know Jesus I treated His new labels for me nonchalantly, placing more weight on the old familiar. Not until recently have I really committed embracing wholeheartedly what He says about me. It takes a surprising amount of work. Thanks for the reminder today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SUCH a GREAT reminder of our worth in HIM! Thank you so much for this encouragement!!!!!!!!! This is something we should all read many times a week if not many times a day! :):) I am so glad you shared @ Into The Word Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the blogdom! I love hearing what you have to say; so please take a moment to share your thoughts. Have a blessed day!